Lincoln's Inn Gardens today consist of 6 separate gardens, the North Lawn, Benchers' Lawn, New Square, Gatehouse Court, Kitchen Garden and Stone Buildings.
- Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts
Access contact details
The large, main lawn of the North Gardens is opened for picnicking from April to September, between 12 – 2.30 pm.
For more information regarding garden opening visit the Lincoln's Inn website.
Tube: Chancery Lane (Central), Holborn (Central, Piccadilly). Bus: 1, 8, 25, 59, 68, 91, 168, 171, 188, 242, 243.
The Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn
The first recorded garden at the Inn was the Long Garden, which was to the North of the Inn's quadrangle of buildings. The Long Garden was a kitchen garden and was used in 1445 by cook Richard Bennett to create food for the Inn. Another area to the west was know as the Coneygarth, this was an area for people to walk and was often used for catching rabbits for food or skins.
Formal gardens were created in the C16th, particularly under supervision of James Dalton from 1588-1600, but altered over the years as new buildings were erected.
The late C17th New Square was initially a private enterprise by Henry Serle, comprising 3 terraces around a central garden area, which once had a central pillar, clock and fountain; a new fountain designed by William Pye was installed here in 2004.
From 1662 the northern area of the gardens became known as the Great Garden. The Great Garden was divided into square plots with intersecting plots which were all lined with trees.
- Features & Designations
- Reference: Bloomsbury
- Key Information
Parks, Gardens And Urban Spaces
Open to the public
London Parks and Gardens Trust