Irving Garden is an area of landscaping that consists of a simple lawn bounded by railings, located immediately behind the National Portrait Gallery. This site has long been known for street performers and is at present the haunt of itinerant portrait artists. Nearby is a mid C19th vent shaft and exuberant lamp standard, and the white marble Edith Cavell Memorial, 1920, by Sir George Frampton.
The park was developed in c.1890 on the site of Hemmings Row, which was demolished to build the National Portrait Gallery. It surrounds the statue of the actor-manager Sir Henry Irving by Sir Thomas Brock, erected in 1910) The lawn and railings appears to be a post-war improvement as old photographs show that the area around the statue was once paved.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Leicester Square (Piccadilly, Northern), Charing Cross (Northern, Bakerloo)
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust