The garden has a few tombs remaining; gravestones are ranged along the east boundary wall adjacent to a paved area to the east of the church shaded by mature trees; York stone paths run through grass, and behind the church is a formal area of ornamental planting.
St Giles-in-the-Fields Church was built in the 1730s on the site of an earlier church and also of two plague pits of the Black Death. The church is surrounded by a small railed churchyard, with a lych gate on St Giles High Street in the style of a Doric triumphal arch. Following closure as a burial ground, St Giles' Churchyard was later laid out as a garden and opened to the public in 1891, maintained by Holborn Borough Council.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk.
DirectionsTube: Tottenham Court Road (Central, Northern). Bus: 1, 7, 8, 10, 14, 19, 24, 29, 73, 134.