The gravestone of the churchyard have now been removed or laid flat, and the site is now a small ornamental garden.
The enclosed burial ground to St Paul's Church Covent Garden was consecrated in 1638, but the building accounts say little of the churchyard, beyond its planting with 'hay seed'. In 1853 the ground was closed to burials, and in 1855 the tombstones were removed or laid flat. Between 1878-82 the churchyard was altered under the direction of Thomas Cubitt, the ground west of the church re-levelled and remodelled. It is also known as Inigo Jones Garden after the architect of the church, which itself is nicknamed The Actors' Church due to its setting in the heart of theatreland.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm; Saturday depending on events; Sunday 9am-1pm or 5pm when there is Evensong.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm; Saturday depending on events; Sunday 9am-1pm or 5pm when there is Evensong.
DirectionsTube: Covent Garden (Piccadilly); Charing Cross (Northern); Leicester Square (Northern, Piccadilly). Bus: 11, 15, 19, 23, 24, 29, 68, 87, 91, 134, 176
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust