Killermont House (also known as Killairmont)4285

Bearsdon, Scotland

Brief Description

The present designed landscape associated with the early-19th-century Killermont House serves as a golf course and is much reduced in size from the original. The presence of some mature specimen trees enables the site to retain its parkland character, although this is somewhat obscured by new plantings.

History

The Killermont estate was bought by Lawrence Colquhoun in the mid-18th century. Maps from that period show a formal designed landscape. A new house was built in about 1805 and the landscape had been informalised by this time. In the early-20th century part of the estate was leased out to Glasgow Golf Club.

Detailed Description

Killermont House stands on the north bank of the River Kelvin and is approached by a winding, tree-lined drive along the river. There is a further strip of woodland east of the house along the river and an area of woodland known as Templehill Wood to the north of the site. This woodland area was improved around 2000 and there are good views from here south over the city of Glasgow.

Housing development occupies about 40% of the former parkland and a golf course the rest, with the early-19th-century house acting as club house. The golf course area retains some mature tree planting which lends it a parkland character, although new tree planting of small trees between fairways tends to obscure this.

Features
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Specimen Tree
  • Description: Some mature specimen trees.
History

Detailed History

The Killermont estate was bought by Lawrence Colquhoun in the mid-18th century. Map evidence suggests that at some point between the mid-17th century and then a formal designed landscape of avenues and tree-lined enclosures was laid out. By the late-18th and early-19th century the landscape had been informalised and a new house (1805) and walled garden had been constructed.

In the early-20th century part of the estate was leased out to Glasgow Golf Club, who later (1922) took out permanent tenure. The rest of the estate has been developed for housing. The Killerton Bowling Club, just outside the registered area, is on the site of the former factor's house and walled garden.

Associated People

Just one person associated to Killermont House

Contact
References

References