A manor house with formal landscaped gardens featuring clipped and topiary yews, ponds, a moat, and around 1910 a private zoo.
Detailed DescriptionThe lay-out of the grounds around the Manor house appear remarkably similar to those shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887 despite many changes of ownership.
The property is approached via the hexagonal lodge at the entrance drive from where the visitor would have seen the extension arm of the moat which was the site of an earlier house abandoned in the late medieval period.
To the west side of the house is a formal garden with a central ornamental pond. There are many yews trimmed to differing shapes and sizes. Two conical clipped yews, the height of the house, are depicted on the south front in an early-19th-century Relham painting, and still dominate a photograph taken a century later when Mr Ambrose Harding was the owner.
A noted zoologist Harding kept a private zoo, the brick and thatched snake-house being part of it.
Beyond the formal grounds is a small park where the moat with its fine weeping ash tree is situated, with woodland beyond. Along the north boundary wall is a red brick arched gateway with a footpath leading to the church.
Topiary, Lawn, Pond
- pp 67-68The Gardens of Cambridgeshire