This remains a triangular site, its boundaries little changed from those of the old fields, although the southern boundary is now the Eastern Avenue. The River Rom forms the easterly boundary of the park.
King George's Playing Field was originally known as Mawney Park, named after the old manor of Mawneys. As Romford expanded, the Mawneys estate was sold for housing development in 1883 although the land here remained as fields, then partly allotment gardens, until 1928 when it was acquired and laid out as a recreation ground. Later Romford Borough Council received funding of £3,000 from the King George's Fields Foundation, and as a consequence it was renamed King George's Playing Field.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open daily until dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open daily until dusk.
DirectionsRail: Romford then bus. Bus: 66, 296, 252, 511.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)