Cottons Park (also known as Cottons Recreational Ground)7740

London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Features of Cottons Park include a playground and football/rugby pitches.

History

Cottons Park, originally called Cottons Recreational Ground, takes its name from the estate of the 16th-century landowner, Nicholas Cotton. The land for the park was acquired by Romford UDC from the Cottons family in 1920 and the park was laid out with planting, paths and a bandstand, beyond which to the north and west were playing fields for rugby, soccer and cricket as well as tennis courts. A children's playground and sand pit were located near the main entrance to the east. During World War 2 the land was given over for war-time allotments, public air-raid shelters and a decontamination centre was constructed, which was later converted into a pavilion and café. Six wooden sculptures were installed in 2009 to commemorate six civilians who lost their lives in the park during bombing in October 1940.

Visitor Facilities

The park is closed at dusk.
Access & Directions

Access Contact Details

The park is closed at dusk.

Directions

Rail: Romford. Bus: 86, 252
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

References