Barkingside Cemetery is a trapezoidal ground laid out on a simple grid with wide paths and some covered seats. It is surrounded by iron railings and has its main entrance gates onto Longwood Gardens.
Barkingside Cemetery is a municipal cemetery, opened in 1922/23. The first burial took place on 1st February 1923. In 1954 when this cemetery had become full an extension was opened to the west, Barkingside Garden of Rest.
Detailed DescriptionBarkingside Cemetery is a municipal cemetery, which opened in 1922/23. In 1954 when the cemetery had become full an extension was opened to the west, Barkingside Garden of Rest. It is laid out on a simple grid with wide paths and some covered seats. A small hedged plot on the north east side is reserved for deceased members of Dr Barnardo's Village Home, which had been established in 1875, at which time Barkingside was a small village. Barkingside Station opened in 1903 and the area gradually became built up.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008), p81.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=RED002
- Access & Directions
DirectionsTube: Barkingside (Central). Bus: 129, 150, 167, 462.
- Early 20th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust