Soon after the land was purchased it was suggested that it be turned into a bird sanctuary and called Jefferies Wood after the naturalist Richard Jefferies, who had lived in Surbiton. In 1980 part of the site became the Richard Jefferies Bird Sanctuary.
The Woods was a large Victorian house with a lake and mixed woodland in the grounds. The house was demolished in 1933 and in 1947 the site was purchased for a public park, which opened in 1951/2.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening of the park is unrestricted. The bird sanctuary is closed to the public (occasional open days).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening of the park is unrestricted. The bird sanctuary is closed to the public (occasional open days).
DirectionsRail: Surbiton. Bus: 281, 406, 71, 465, K1 (walk)