Below the house is one of the ponds after which the house and public park are named. The land had once been part of Kingston Common and brick working caused the formation of ponds and the shape of the landscape. The steep bank of the eastern edge of the largest pond was the original limit of the brick earth excavations.
Fishponds was an 18th-century house in private grounds owned by Sir Frederick Butler. The estate was purchased by Surbiton UDC in 1935 although members of the Butler family continued to live in the house for their lifetime.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail: Surbiton. Bus: 281, 406, 418