The church faces Queen's Promenade and the river and has a pleasant garden to the front and sides, with mature trees, grass and perimeter beds.
St Raphael's Church was built in 1846-48, designed in Italianate style by Charles Parker, and was the first Catholic church in Kingston since the Reformation. Largely as a result of this the Catholic community expanded in the area. St Raphael was founded by Alexander Raphael of Surbiton Place, on whose estate it was built. Raphael initially delayed the consecration of the church until 1850, having had a premonition that he would die soon after, and he indeed died later that year.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
- Mid 19th Century
Official WebsiteClick Here
London Parks and Gardens Trust