The College, founded in 1919 to provide education for working women, purchased the freehold and 6 acres of land in 1925 and moved here in 1926. The theatre was later sold when the college needed more space and the former winter garden was built over for a new hall.
Hillcroft College originated as a private house built in 1877 for Wilberforce Bryant. In 1884 he set aside part of his estate for a meeting room and theatre, calling it The Gables. It had substantial grounds, part of which lie to the south-west and form the public park, The Woods.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is usually private, but there are occasional open days.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is usually private, but there are occasional open days.
DirectionsRail: Surbiton. Bus: 281, 406, 418.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)