The public gardens were laid out in two sections, divided by Twyford Avenue, each section having lawns with island beds, perimeter paths, tree and shrub planting. The gardens were renovated in c.2008 with a new entrance to the west and new planting to provide year-round interest.
The area was farmed until the 1890s, much of it part of the Elms Estate owned by the Wegg family from the C18th until 1842. Twyford Avenue, originally an old field lane, was at one time called Wegg Avenue. The site that became the public gardens was predominantly a Fish Pond on the Estate, providing grazing for livestock and horses. The land was purchased by Acton UDC in 1903 from the Round family who had inherited the Elms Estate and began developing it for housing.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Ealing Common (Piccadilly, District) then bus. Bus: 207, 607.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust