The southern part of the cemetery is largely reserved for Roman Catholic burials, with many Polish, East Europeans and White Russians buried here, including the Romanoff Vsevolod, Prince of Russia (d.1973). The Roman Catholic chapel was destroyed by bombing in World War 2 and on its site the Katyn Memorial was later erected, a black obelisk designed by Louis Fitzgibbon.
Gunnersbury Cemetery was established in 1929 when the Borough of Kensington's Cemetery at Hanwell was full.
Visitor Facilities9am - 4.30pm (Jan-Dec); -5.30pm (Feb/Mar/Oct); - 7pm (April/May/Sept); -8pm (June-Aug). Sundays - 7pm (June-Aug)/-6pm (April/May/Sept). Xmas -4.30pm
Detailed DescriptionGunnersbury Cemetery was established in 1929 when the Borough of Kensington's Cemetery at Hanwell was full. Situated adjacent to Gunnersbury Park, the land was originally part of the Rothschild Gunnersbury Park estate. The chapel is a simple brick building, recently refurbished, and the drive from the entrance is lined with displays of flower tubs and floral bedding arrangements, including shrubs such as camellias and roses along the side walls. With paths laid out in a grid pattern, the cemetery has well-kept grass and numerous fine trees, including mature horse chestnut trees near the entrance that date from before the cemetery was laid out, part of Gunnersbury Park planting. A Garden of Remembrance has been established with a central sundial and seating.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008)
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HOU026
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details9am - 4.30pm (Jan-Dec); -5.30pm (Feb/Mar/Oct); - 7pm (April/May/Sept); -8pm (June-Aug). Sundays - 7pm (June-Aug)/-6pm (April/May/Sept). Xmas -4.30pm
DirectionsRail: Kew Bridge. London Overground/Tube (District): Gunnersbury
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust