Acton Park was laid out with radiating avenues of mature trees enclosing large grassed open spaces, with a sunken garden of rhododendrons and shrubs. Some of the trees may pre-date the municipal planting. By the early-20th century there was a bandstand, now a circular flower bed, and other facilities were added, including the bowling green and cafe. In the early-21st century a new community garden was created.
In medieval times this was commonland. The southern part was used for brick-earth extraction in the 1870s, and there was a market garden in the south-east. In 1886 Acton Local Board began to purchase land for a public park from various owners, including the Goldsmiths' Company whose almshouses overlook the park. It was opened to the public in 1888 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 7.30am - dusk.
DirectionsLondon Overground: Acton Central. Tube: Turnham Green (District/Piccadilly) then walk. Bus: 70, 207, 266, E3
London Parks and Gardens Trust