Trawsgoed (also known as Crosswood, Trawscoed)3292

Ceredigion, Wales

Brief Description

The house is described by CADW as 'one of the most important and historic mansions in west Wales'. It is surrounded by formal and informal gardens, and extensive parkland which is now returned to agricultural use.

History

The site has been occupied since at least the 17th century. The parkland dates from the late-18th century, and the gardens mainly from the late-19th century.

Features
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: The house has been extended and altered since the 17th century. The last major alterations were in 1891.
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: Terrace wall.
  • Garden Building
  • Description: Lodge.
Fountain, Drive, Terrace, Steps, Stable Block
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Trawsgoed
History

Detailed History

The house was rebuilt in the mid-17th century. The walled great garden was to the south-west. North-east of the house was a forecourt. There was also an avenue leading to the park of 60 hectares.

The fields between the house and park were enclosed in a larger park in the 1770s, and the whole was dotted with trees and plantations. A kitchen garden was built to the north-west of the house. A turnpike was constructed to the south-west, and new drives connected to it.

The walled garden was removed in the 18th century, but extensive new formal gardens were formed with a grand fountain between 1889 and 1891. Below these gardens and down to the main road an arboretum was planted with some fine specimen conifers. A small Japanese water garden and rose garden were created in the 1920s. The park became entirely agricultural in the late-20th century.

Contact

Telephone

01443 336000

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References