The flower garden was overgrown by the 1930s and severely damaged by forestry activity in the 1950s. Some restoration of the perimeter wall and gates was done in 1988-9. After clearance of a mature sitka spruce plantation in 2009 the stumps were extracted, the former forest road re-routed outside the garden, and the soil surface graded. Further restoration will be required.
The Flower Garden was created by Thomas and Jane Johnes in 1783-88, and inspired by writings of Rev. William Mason. Early descriptions invite comparison with Nuneham Courtenay. Unspecified American plants were included, though may have been incidental rather than the dominant theme.
Visitor FacilitiesFree car park (and portaloo). Car park for disabled people near office. Nine miles of way-marked walks (free). Guided walks by arrangement. Online guidebook available.
- Plant Type
- Flower Garden
Garden Wall, Gate
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Detailshttp://www.hafod.org 01974 282568
- Ysbyty Ystwyth
- 18th Century
- Late 18th Century