Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Plas Penglais

Introduction

Plas Penglais is a late-18th-century country house. It has a 19th-century woodland garden, unusual trees and shrubs and a 20th-century botany garden containing many choice and half-hardy plants.

Part of the dingle is accessible by public footpath and the garden has occasional open days.

Terrain

hilly

Visitor Access, Directions & Contacts

Telephone

01443 336000

Directions

Plas Penglais is north of the A487 where it climbs the hill eastward out of Aberystwyth. The gateway is marked by a lodge, and is opposite the entrance to Aberystwyth University campus.

Owners

Aberystwyth University

Old College, King Street, Aberystwyth, SY23 2AX
History

Period

  • 18th Century
  • Late 18th Century
Associated People
Features & Designations

Designations

  • CADW Register of Landscapes Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales

  • Reference: PGW(Dy)47(CER) part of
  • Grade: II*
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales

  • Reference: Plas Penglais
  • Grade: II

Features

  • Ornamental Bridge
  • Description: Two of the original four bridges survive in good condition, a third is inaccessible near the greenhouses, and the fourth is gone. Two bear a slate plaque inscribed "This bridge and railings were Planed by Avarina W. A. Richards in 1844". Another bears the same legend, with the name "Charles Richards 1844". In 1844 Charles was 14 and Avarina 9 years of age.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Terrace
  • Description: There is a walled terrace. This appears to date from the Georgian garden and resembles that in the late-18th-century watercolour. It terminates in an alcove and a doorway through to the garden beyond.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pond
  • Description: A slate-edged formal lily pond was built on the narrow lawn of the terrace to the west of the mansion.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Tropical House
  • Description: A tropical and adjoining temperate glasshouse were used for growing teaching specimens for the Botany department. Replaced in 1981 it is still maintained for a supply of teaching specimens.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Villa (featured building)
  • Description: The three bay villa was remodelled in 1841-2, and rebuilt in 1951 with a new side elevation by Sir Percy Thomas. An elevation attributed to Thomas F. Pritchard shows the facade flanked by tiny pavilions. Instead, a terrace and fruit wall seems to have been built.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information

Type

Garden

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

Domestic / Residential

Period

18th Century

Survival

Extant

Hectares

5

Civil Parish

Aberystwyth

References

References

Contributors

  • Caroline Palmer