Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Tanybwlch Mansion 3730

Introduction

Tanybwlch was built as a Regency villa overlooking the sea lanes to Aberystwyth harbour. Much extended in 1892, it now has the appearance of a part castellated Victorian house. There are landscaped paths, a walled garden, stables, gardener's cottage and a sinuous drive. There was formerly a castellated tea cottage on the coast.

Features
  • Tea House
  • Description: Gothic castellated cottage of rock dressed local stone set at the foot of Alltwen cliff, and overlooking the sea. Demolished 1957.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden House
  • Description: A garden house already existed attached to the walled garden, but this was extended and enlarged in 1892 along with the new stable block.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Description: A Regency mansion, clad in 1891 with rock dressed stone, and extended with a large Victorian wing by architects Tatham and Flowers.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Stable Block
  • Description: Three sided stable block in rock dressed stone with yellow brick facings, with coach house and stabling for nine horses.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Kitchen Garden
  • Description: Lozenge-shaped walled garden, first shown on the tithe map, with paths and doorway linking it to the mansion.
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Description: The present route of the sinuous drive hugging the flank of Tanycastell hill avoids the direct route through the farmyard.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Visitor Access & Directions

Directions

From the A487 take the side turning west in Rhydyfelin towards Morfa Bychan. Cross the River Ystwyth, then take the private road to the right. The mansion is at the end of a private drive, with stables up a track to left.
Designations
  • CADW Register of Listed Buildings in Wales
  • Grade: II
References

References

Contributors

  • Caroline Palmer

  • John Birch- resident, 1980-1984