Gogerddan 4980

Aberystwyth, Wales

Pgds 20080923 145056 Gogerddan

Brief Description

Gogerddan was one of the four great Cardiganshire estates from the 16th century. There were several phases in landscape and garden history. In 1948 the estate was broken up and the mansion and adjoining gardens bought by the Welsh Plant Breeding Station. Many of the original features have now been built over, though a narrrow garden remains around the mansion.

History

This was the seat of the powerful and influential Pryse family of Gogerddan. Maps and plans show that a significant formal garden exisited at Gogerddan in the 18th century, at the same time as they maintained a separate deer park at Lodge Park (site Record Id: 2135).The formal garden was then replaced by parkland and structures relating to hunting and racing. In the 20th century the walled garden and much adjoining land has been built over.

Access & Directions

Directions

From A44 3 miles east of Aberystwyth take A4159 northward for 1.5 miles, then turn east on minor road for IGER (or IBERS).
History

Period

  • 16th Century
References

References