Sylvester Road, Number 4 3985

Cambridge, England, Cambridgeshire, Cambridge

Brief Description

Features include a lawn, rose pergola and a garden terrace.

History

No. 4 Sylvester Road was built as a private residence in the early-20th century.

Detailed Description

Between the garden and No. 3 Sylvester Road is an ancient hedgerow and ditch which have been retained by the College. The terrace along the south of the house is planted with conifers at regular intervals, below which a lawn still retains evidence of field ridge and furrow. To the east of the lawn is a rose pergola with rope swags supported by concrete posts and chains. The herbaceous planting to the south of the lawn includes a rare Persian buckthorn.
Features
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Pergola
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

In 1974 David Robinson purchased this house from Canon J. W. Bowker, a University Lecturer in Divinity. The house had been built in 1930 for Dr. Rook who was a leading dermatologist at Addenbrooke's Hospital. In 1978 the house became the Warden's Lodge.

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust