Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Adams Road, Number 4

Introduction

The home of X-ray pioneer Dr. Shillington-Scales, the garden features an herbaceous border and yew hedging.

The garden had a large lawn to the south enclosed by tall yew hedges with recesses and where openings were required, a curved arch was cut through and pairs of globes cut above the hedge. Today the hedges remain as does the important X-ray garage. A narrow herbaceous border lies along the west hedge and the opening originally led to the vegetable garden, now a car park. Immediately to the west of the house is a small rose parterre filled with Rosa Trumpeter.
History

Adams Road, No. 4 was built in 1908 by Dr. Shillington-Scales, who pioneered X-ray techniques. In 1926 Brian Reddaway came, when young, to have his knee X-rayed in the adjoining garage. He and his wife later bought the house from his parents in 1952. He was subsequently Professor of Political Economy in the University from 1969 to 1980.

Period

Early 20th Century (1901-1932)

Associated People
Features & Designations

Features

  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Parterre
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information

Type

Garden

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

House

Period

Early 20th Century (1901-1932)

Survival

Extant

References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust