Search for the name, locality, period or a feature of a locality. You'll then be taken to a map showing results.

Adams Road, Number 6

Introduction

Features include a large copper beech and various flower plantings.

When Mrs Charnock sold her house to the college she stipulated that her planting of Cyclamen hederifolium beneath a large copper beech tree should not be lost. Today one can see this fine display flowering through a carpet of ivy, protected by a low rail. The remainder of her garden is enclosed by a beech hedge.
History

Adams Road, No. 6 was built in the 1890s and was bought in 1950 by Sir George Thompson, later Master of Corpus Christi, and his sister Mrs Joan Charnock. The property was purchased for their mother Lady Thompson, widow of Sir J. J. Thompson, Master of Trinity and discoverer of the electron. The home was purchased by the College in 1986.

Features & Designations

Features

  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Hedge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Key Information

Type

Garden

Purpose

Ornamental

Principal Building

House

Survival

Extant

References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust