Adams Road, Number 2 3980

Cambridge, England, Cambridgeshire, Cambridge

Brief Description

A late-19th-century garden with terracing and herbaceous borders.

History

No. 2 Adams Road was built in the late-19th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

The garden consisted of a terraced path to the south and east of the house. To the south a flight of steps lead down to a gravel path flanked on both sides by herbaceous borders backed by espalier fruit trees. To the east is a lawn with perennial herbs growing along the north side. Towards the new building, the remains of a mid-19th-century fernery is now overshadowed by the Lawson cypresses.
Features
  • Terrace
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Espalier
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
History

Detailed History

Robinson College's latest acquisition, the house was built in 1898. The property was formerly owned by Lord and Lady Kaldor from 1951, who gave hospitality to Hungarian refugees after the uprising of 1956.

The house welcomed visitors who came to discuss economics, politics and philosophy. Kaldor became economic advisor to successive Labour Governments.

References

References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust