Egerton House, Stetchworth 4134

Stetchworth, England, Cambridgeshire, East Cambridgeshire

Brief Description

Features of Egerton House include a lodge, walled garden, tree belts and lawns.

History

Egerton House was established in the late-19th century as a house and horse stud.

Detailed Description

Egerton House has an entrance lodge and a walled sunken garden. There is also herbaceous borders, tree belts, lawns and specimen trees.
Features
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gate Lodge
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Tree Belt
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Herbaceous Border
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Manor House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Stetchworth
History

Detailed History

Egerton House was built in 1891 for Lord Ellesmere. The house is painted red brick with applied timber frame decoration. Egerton House was leased in 1925 to Richard Marsh who was a trainer to the Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII, and to George V.

In 1925, the ownership apparently passed to the Earl of Ellesmere's third son. T.H. F. Egerton then sold the estate to Henry Lascelles, Viscount Lascelles, later Earl of Harewood.