Bottisham Village College 4113

Bottisham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of the College include lawns and a vegetable garden.

History

The College was established in the early-20th century.

Detailed Description

Marked by a row of poplar trees the College was laid out specifically without boundary walls. Mr. Ted Norton was the College's first gardener whose efforts in the magnificent herbaceous border drew appreciative comments from visitors who used to tour the county to see the famous village colleges.

Before he retired in 1952, Mr. Norton grew vegetables for the College kitchens, and older boys helped him with the pigs, which were kept for bacon. He also encouraged the pupils to keep bees in the grounds. Villagers came from afar to purchase his surplus vegetables; even Henry Morris bought his vegetables every Saturday morning from the College.

Features
  • Lawn
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • College (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bottisham
History

Detailed History

The College was designed by S. E. Unwin and opened in 1937 by Oliver Stanley, MP, President of the Board of Education.

Period

  • Early 20th Century
References

Contributors

  • Cambridgeshire Gardens Trust