Bottisham Hall 4114

Bottisham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, England

Brief Description

Features of Bottisham Hall include a walled garden, entrance gates and a moat.

History

Bottisham Hall was created in the late-18th century as a private residence.

Detailed Description

Bottisham Hall has 56 hectares of parkland that has an avenue, belts and plantations. The grounds around the Hall can be explored by following a circular route which passes through clumps of conifers and shrubberies.

A further circular path to the north of the service buildings encompasses a large walled kitchen garden. Either side of this path are drifts of spring flowers, yew, and box which provide evergreen avenues. Within the kitchen garden are old fruit trees and figs growing against the walls, where there is evidence of hothouse flues.

The moated site is now well wooded, but the existence of a magnificent plane tree amongst the other trees suggests there was a garden around the manor house. In the park towards the site of the deserted medieval village, Angerhale, is a large field maple of considerable age. Near the sheep pen is a corn mill, and to the west of the hall is a concrete squash court.

Features
  • Plantation
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Avenue
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Drive
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Gateway
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Moat
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Bottisham
History

Detailed History

Bottisham Hall was built in 1797 for Reverend George Leonard Jenyns.

Period

  • Late 18th Century