The three 17-storey towers were demolished in 1999/2000, and the park was re-landscaped in 2000 as Stepney Green Park. Stepney Clocktower is in a triangular garden adjacent to the park, and was moved here in 1934.
Stepney Green Park is on former commonland that was once part of Mile End Green, the largest of several commons in the Manor of Stepney. It was the site of various historic events over the centuries, including the Peasants Revolt in 1381. In the 19th century streets of terraced houses were built over much of the area, but were largely demolished following bomb damage in World War 2 and the LCC Stifford Estate was built in 1958-64 overlooking a new public park, Stepney Green.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted, Clocktower Garden locked.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted, Clocktower Garden locked.
DirectionsLondon Overground/Tube (District, Hammersmith & City): Whitechapel. DLR: Limehouse.
London Parks and Gardens Trust