Stepney Green Gardens are remnants of Mile End Green, which was the largest of several commons in the Manor of Stepney.
The four long narrow strips of garden are the last remaining part of the fields where Richard II met the rebels in the Peasant's Revolt of 1381. In the late C17th a strip from the northern end to a line at right angles to the large No. 71 letterbox was enclosed and planted with rows of trees to screen several large country houses from the highway. A gravel path was also made, now the narrow roadway along the eastern side of gardens. In 1872 local campaigns to save the long strip of land from developers led to the creation of the four public gardens by the Metropolitan Board of Works.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Stepney Green (District/Hammersmith & City). Bus: 25
London Parks and Gardens Trust