A line of plane trees follows the retaining wall of the north side of the tunnel as it emerges into Branch Road. Re-landscaping was carried out with the building of the Limehouse Link in the 1980s with a bridge leading over the approach road; a raised brick flower bed was adjacent to the railings that form the boundary with Butcher Row, with a War Memorial nearby. The park remains largely grassed with mature trees, although re-landscaping was carried out in recent years, with new playground and paths.
St James's Gardens were laid out and opened in 1913 on land granted by St James's Church, together with residual land from the 1908 Rotherhithe Tunnel cutting, to form a long strip of public gardens.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust