After it closed for burials, the churchyard was laid out in 1886 as a public garden by the MPGA, with a partially flagged area in front.
The church here was first established as a chapel of ease of St Dunstan's Stepney, becoming a separate parish in 1669 and consecrated as St Paul's Shadwell in 1671. It became known as the Church of Sea Captains due to the many mariners in the congregation, including Captain James Cook. The old church was later rebuilt in 1820. It was once surrounded by trees on all four sides but in the 1840s part of the churchyard was compulsorily purchased when the London Dock Company built Shadwell New Basin.
Visitor FacilitiesMost of churchyard is unrestricted access (area of churchyard to The Highway boundary not accessible but visible).
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsMost of churchyard is unrestricted access (area of churchyard to The Highway boundary not accessible but visible).
DirectionsLondon Overground: Wapping, Shadwell. DLR: Shadwell. Bus: D3, 100
- Associated People
St Paul's Church
London Parks and Gardens Trust