Together with Stepney Green Gardens and Stepney Green Park, Mile End Waste is a remnant of Mile End Green, later called Stepney Green. Features include two rows of plane trees and two statues.
- Visitor Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsLondon Overground/Tube (District, Hammersmith & City): Whitechapel. Bus: 25
- Conservation Area
This was the largest of several commons in the Manor of Stepney, which extended from St Dunstan's Church to Whitechapel, and was the site of historic events, including the Peasants Revolt. In 1910-12 Stepney Borough Council planted 2 long rows of plane trees on a strip of land along Mile End Road, laid out roadside gardens and erected commemorative statues for Edward VII and William Booth. In 1865 Booth had held services in the open air on Mile End Waste, before processing to a second site on the old Quaker Burial Ground, now part of Vallance Recreation Ground.
- Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
London Parks and Gardens Trust