The ruins of the castle lie to the west of the town of Stafford. In 1979 evidence of a 17th-century garden layout was found during an archaeological excavation (findings published 1999) by Stafford Borough Council. An inventory of 1537 refers to 'the supping place in the garden'. The Friends of Stafford Castle have recreated a medieval-style herb garden on the site.
The castle was first built by the Normans, and was occupied until the early-20th century. The castle was demolished during the Civil War and re-built in 1813. The site became derelict in the 1950s and has recently been restored.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open at weekends only during the winter months, and from 11am Wednesdays to Sundays between April and October.
- Plant Type
- Herb Garden
- Description: The herb garden features 16 planted beds.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open at weekends only during the winter months, and from 11am Wednesdays to Sundays between April and October.
Staffordshire Gardens and Parks Trust