Brocton Hall 4780

Stafford, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

The 18th-century house remains, but much of the grounds are now lost under a golf course. Visible standing remains include kitchen garden walls and a dovecote.

History

The present house dates back to the 18th century. The top storey was removed after a fire in 1939. The park was turned into a golf course in the 1920s.

Terrain

Undulating

Detailed Description

Brocton Hall itself is extant, and in use as a clubhouse, but the parkland is covered by a modern golf course, though this retains some mature trees. Today's course layout has changed little since Vardon's orginal design. The course's bunkers and greens lie immediately in front of the building's principal facade.

The walls of the kitchen garden are intact, but not maintained. An octagonal dovecote of brick still stands.

Features
  • Dovecote
  • Description: Octagonal brick dovecote.
Kitchen Garden
Access & Directions

Directions

http://www.broctonhall.com/frmCPP.aspx?page=CreatedPagesindus.htm
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Brocton
History

Detailed History

From 1680, the Brocton Estate was owned by the Chetwynd family. Around 1760, William Chetwynd knocked down the manor house and built the present Brocton Hall. The estate stayed in the family until 1923, when Mary Chetwynd sold it.

The new owners were Cannock Chase Golf Club, which relocated to the site, and was renamed Brocton Hall Golf Club. The new course, which overlies the original parkland estate, was designed by champion golfer Harry Vardon.

The three-storey hall acquired by the club was converted into a club house, but in 1939 a fire destroyed the top floor and damaged other areas. The top floor was subsequently removed, allowing easier consolidation and repair of the lower storeys.

Period

  • 18th Century
  • Late 18th Century
Contact

Official Website

Other websites

Owners

  • Brocton Hall Golf Club

References

References