Tixall Park 3267

Stafford, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

The site has been inhabited since at least the 16th century. The most recent house, dating to 1771, has been demolished. The surrounding landscape was laid out by Lancelot Brown before 1774. It has since been ploughed out.

History

The house was the 16th-century home of the Astons. It was demolished in the 18th century and rebuilt by Richard Trubshaw in 1721. This house was later demolished, leaving a semi-circular stable block, which was later converted to housing.

Features
  • Canal
  • Description: The Trent and Mersey canal was widened to give the impression of a lake known as the Tixall Broad.
  • Gatehouse
  • Description: Restored by the Landmark Trust in the late-20th century.
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Tixall
History

Detailed History

The house was the 16th-century home of the Astons, Barons Forfar, who built the 1580 gatehouse (restored by the Landmark Trust in the late-20th century). The site was afterwards the home of the Cliffords until 1894. The house was demolished in the 18th century and rebuilt by Richard Trubshaw in 1721. It was altered and the grounds were landscaped by Lancelot Brown before 1774.

The vista towards the Trent and Mersey canal was improved by William Emes, who had the canal widened to give the impression of a lake known as the Tixall Broad. The house was demolished, leaving a semi-circular stable block. The stables were converted in the late-20th century to houses, and the Brown landscape was ploughed out.

Period

  • Late 18th Century
Associated People

People associated to Tixall Park

Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References