Seighford Hall 4877

Stafford, Staffs., England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

Seighford Hall is a 16th-century timber-framed manor house with associated grounds, re-designed in the 18th century. It is currently in use as a nursing home.

History

The house was home to the Eld family until the mid-19th century. It later became a hotel, when the site underwent alterations.

Detailed Description

The grounds are mostly lawned, and ornamental ponds remain.These are believed to be former fish stews. There is some balustrading to the terrace in front of the house.This was probably altered during its former use as a hotel.

Pevsner (1974, 233) mentions a coach house, gamekeeper's cottage, and a brick tower, designed to look like a church tower.

Features
Terrace, Balustrade, Fishpond, Lawn
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Seighford
History

Detailed History

This large, timber-framed house dates from the 16th century, and is the former home of the Eld family.According to White’s Directory, it was still owned by the family in 1851.

Period

  • 18th Century
References

References