Milford Hall 4874

Stafford, England, Staffordshire, Stafford

Brief Description

This Georgian house occupies a fine position on the brow of a hill, overlooking parkland to the east. A round colonnaded summerhouse, and formal gardens (with stone ornaments) led to parkland beyond. The parkland includes 'good specimen' trees.

History

This 18th-century house had extensive parkland and designed garden features, with poor survival today.

Detailed Description

This Georgian house (Grade II listed) occupies a fine position on the brow of a hill, overlooking parkland to the east.According to the Victoria County History, it had a bath house near the north end of the lake by around 1800, as well as an oval pool surrounded by high walls.A round colonnaded summerhouse, and formal gardens (with stone ornaments) led to parkland beyond.The parkland includes ‘good specimen’ trees.One wall of the kitchen garden remains, and runs along the A513 road.
Features
  • Mansion House (featured building)
  • Earliest Date:
  • Latest Date:
  • Garden Wall
  • Description: One wall of the kitchen garden remains.
  • Summerhouse
  • Description: Round colonnaded summerhouse, now lost.
Specimen Tree
Authorities

Civil Parish

  • Berkswich
History

Detailed History

This Georgian house has been the home of the Levett family since 1749, when Rev Richard Levett married Lucy Byrd, heiress of Milford. The Levetts (now the Levett-Haszard family) still own Milford Hall today.

The Levetts trace their origins back to Normandy, and for some time were landed in Sussex. Several members of the family have been Sherrif of Staffordshire, or have represented the county in parliament. Other notable members include:

-William Levett, groom of the bedchamber to Charles I

-Sir Richard Levett, Lord Mayor of London and sometime owner of Kew Palace

-Dr. William Levett, Principal of Magdalen Hall, Oxford, and Dean of Bristol.

The house is described in the Victoria County History (around 1800) as having a bath house near the north end of the lake , as well as an oval pool surrounded by high walls, and a round colonnaded summerhouse.

Period

  • 18th Century
Contact

Telephone

01793 445050

Official Website

Click Here

Owners

    References

    References