The asylum was built by Lord Talbot in 1854 as an insane institution for the rich. It cost thirty thousand pounds, and was renovated two years later for twenty thousand pounds. The building stood in grounds of 30 acres, and was designed by Fulljames & Waller of Gloucester in a Gothic style.
By 1880 the hospital had been extended. It was closed in 1975 and demolished in 1976, the grounds being taken into car parks for the newly constructed district general hospital. Only the mortuary (converted to two houses) and one lodge (hospital office) still stand, next to the road.
Detailed DescriptionThere are the remnants of a lime avenue of the former entrance drive broken by a new railing adjacent to the hospital car parks. There are some large shrubs and trees next to the main road, but the site is mainly covered by new hospital buildings.
- Tree Avenue
- Description: Lime avenue.
Detailed HistoryBuilt in the 1850s on land provided by Lord Talbot, the hospital opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as ‘The institution for the Insane of Staffordshire and the Adjacent Counties'. The hospital was built in a Tudor style on Weston Road and set in 30 acres of grounds including sports facilities, gardens, orchards, a vegetable garden and farm. The building remained until 1976 when, apart from the chapel and the lodges, it was demolished and the new District General Hospital was built on the site.
- Victorian (1837-1901)
- Associated People
Just one person associated to Coton Hill Asylum