The small rectangular cemetery between the school and the church has numerous monuments. It has sparse planting, with a few small pollard lime and some flowering trees.
St Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Church was founded by philanthropist Elizabeth Bowden, and built in memory of her late husband. The church was opened in 1848 by John Henry Newham, a friend of the Bowdens.
Visitor FacilitiesThere is unrestricted access to this site.
Detailed DescriptionSt Thomas of Canterbury Catholic Church was the only complete church to be designed by Alexander W Pugin in London, built in 1847-48 to serve the growing population of Irish immigrants. The benefactress of the church also endowed St Thomas's Schools nearby, built in 1849. Between the church and school, the small walled cemetery opened in 1849 and has numerous good monuments. It has sparse planting, with a few small pollard lime and some flowering trees.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p233; Barbara Denny 'Fulham Past' (Historical Publications), 1997; Hazel Leach Evinson 'The Church' article on church website http://stocf.wordpress.com/parish-history/. See Hammersmith Council website Historical Sculptures Search for information on other monuments of note in churchyard.
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HAF060
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThere is unrestricted access to this site.
DirectionsLondon Overground: West Brompton. Tube: West Brompton, Fulham Broadway (District) then bus. Bus: 74, 190, 211, 295, 430
- Mid 19th Century
- Associated People
Just one person associated to St Thomas of Canterbury Churchyard
London Parks and Gardens Trust