The cemetery is bounded by stone walls, piers and railings along the main road and within the grounds the grid of walks is lined with small trees and lime trees along the boundary with Fulham Palace Road. The main avenue from the entrance on Fulham Palace Road runs to Munster Road, which was laid out when the cemetery was extended in 1874.
Land that was previously a nursery was purchased by Fulham Burial Board to establish its cemetery here in 1865. Fulham Cemetery was laid out by architect John Hall who designed the cemetery lodge at the entrance and two Gothic-style chapels.
Visitor FacilitiesMon-Sat 9am; Sun 10am; closes 4pm (Nov - Jan); 5pm (Oct/Feb); 6pm (Mar/Sep); 7pm (Aug/Apr); 8pm (May - Jul). Xmas Day 10am-3pm
Detailed DescriptionFulham Cemetery, now generally known as Fulham Palace Road Cemetery, was established by Fulham Burial Board in 1865 and is the oldest of the parish's cemeteries. It was designed by architect John Hall with an entrance lodge and two chapels, and laid out with a grid of walks. The burial ground was extended in 1874 and 1880 but by 1908 it was becoming full and North Sheen Cemetery was opened to cater for the parish needs, although Fulham Old Cemetery is now still open for burial.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008) p155; John Archer, Daniel Keech 'Nature Conservation in Hammersmith & Fulham', Ecology Handbook 25, London Ecology Unit, 1993; LB Hammersmith & Fulham 'Crabtree Conservation Area Character Profile', 2001. See Hammersmith Council website Historical Sculptures Search
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=HAF017
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsMon-Sat 9am; Sun 10am; closes 4pm (Nov - Jan); 5pm (Oct/Feb); 6pm (Mar/Sep); 7pm (Aug/Apr); 8pm (May - Jul). Xmas Day 10am-3pm
DirectionsTube: Hammersmith (Piccadilly, Hammersmith & City, District) then bus. Bus: 74, 220, 430
- Victorian (1837-1901)
London Parks and Gardens Trust