Lady Margaret School (also known as Belfield House, Elm House, Henniker House)9211

Greater London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

Behind the buildings is a courtyard garden with a central lawn surrounded by trees and shrubberies. There are several mature trees, in particular an old walnut tree, a kapuka tree, and a London plane tree in the hard games area. There are several shrubberies with a variety of shrubs and trees, and many potted plants, which enhance the facades of the newer buildings. With the construction of a new building in the grounds in 2010, a new pergola has been created and planted by this building.

History

Lady Margaret School was established here in 1917. It comprises the former grounds of three historic houses, Belfield House, Elm House and Henniker House, which successively became part of the school. Belfield House, the original school building, and Elm House, added in 1937, are set back from the road and the school is fronted by shrubberies and mature trees behind a low brick wall with modern wrought iron railings. Henniker House was added in 1952.

Access & Directions

Directions

Tube: Parsons Green (District). Bus: 22
History

Period

  • Early 20th Century (1901-1932)
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust