Features of Eel Brook Common include a playground and basketball court.
Eel Brook Common was formerly manorial waste, much used for pasture and enclosed by a 12-foot ditch. Encroachments for building took place from the late-18th century and the District Railway reduced the area in the 19th century, but public opposition prevented the Ecclesiastical Commissioners building between Crondace Road and New King's Road. Used for informal recreation, it is shown on a map of 1841 as Fulham Park, extending almost to Parson’s Green. There was political pressure to turn it into public park from 1866 and it was finally transferred to the MBW in 1881. A bandstand was built by 1894, cricket and football pitches provided by 1921 and in the late 1920s two tennis courts.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsTube: Parsons Green/Fulham Broadway (District). Bus: 22, 11, 28, 295, C4