St Paul's Square 9463

Greater London, England, Greater London

Brief Description

St Paul's Square is a fenced area of green space with a few trees at the junction of St Paul's Road with Liverpool and Manchester Roads.

History

The old hamlet of Thornton Heath was centred on the pond on London Road. The arrival of the railway and opening in 1862 of Colliers Water Lane Station (renamed Thornton Heath) led to new development around the High Street. St Paul's Road is recorded in the 1865 Croydon Street Directory and St Paul's Church originated as a temporary iron building in 1868. The east end of the church was built in 1871-2, with nave and baptistry added in 1901, and later rebuilding in the 1920s due to subsidence.

Access & Directions

Directions

Rail: Thornton Heath
References

Contributors

  • London Parks and Gardens Trust