The lawn today marks the site of the ornamental gardens, and the hanging woodland remains through which ornamental walks were laid out.
Beulah Spa developed in the early-19th century from a spa where people came to take the waters. On 1 August 1831 the 30-acre site, owned by Mr J D Smith, was opened as a place of entertainment with gardens laid out by Decimus Burton. A wide range of attractions were provided but its popularity began to decline when the Crystal Palace moved to nearby Sydenham in 1854. In May 1858 the Beulah Spa estate was sold by auction and a large mansion called The Lawns was built. In 1939 The Lawns estate was conveyed to Croydon Corporation, NT and the MPGA, covenanted to remain as public open space. The mansion was demolished in the mid-1960s after a fire.
Visitor FacilitiesOpening is unrestricted.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsOpening is unrestricted.
DirectionsRail/London Overground: Norwood Junction then bus. Bus: 196, 468, 249, 450