The lake is available for fishing and sailing. Other recreational facilities include cricket, tennis, basketball, bowling green and a children's playground. There is some tree planting and a viewing platform giving views over the lake.
South Norwood Lake was constructed to supply the London to Croydon Canal, which opened in 1809. No longer viable by 1836 it was purchased by the London & Croydon Railway Co., the canal then drained and used for railway track bed. In 1881 Norwood Sports Club leased 16 acres of land for a cricket field and the lake for fishing, swimming and skating. Further land was acquired and when the club was sold in 1911 its facilities included bowls, cricket and tennis. In 1931 Croydon Corporation purchased 16 acres of land, and the lake and surrounds opened to the public, although the club continued to lease the facilities. In 1933 the Corporation leased 37 acres including the former golf course and bowling green, eventually purchasing it in 1936. In 1969 all the grounds were opened to the public.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsRail/London Overground: Norwood Junction c.2km to south. Bus: 410, 196, 468
London Parks and Gardens Trust