The nursery, water garden and bandstand have all gone and the park is largely oak woodland, with an ornamental garden laid out on the foundations of the mansion, which was demolished in 1960.
Grangewood Park is on the site of a late-18th century/early-19th century villa and gardens, itself carved out of pre-existing oak woodland of the Great North Wood. The estate was bought in 1806 by John Davidson Smith, who divided it for residential development. By 1868 the mansion had gardens to the south and a water garden and rockery to the south-west. In 1900 it was acquired by Croydon Corporation for a public park and the gardens and walks were augmented with a bowling green, tennis courts and bandstand, and a nursery was established in the walled kitchen garden.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk.
DirectionsRail: Thornton Heath then bus. Rail/London Overground: Norwood Junction then bus. Bus: 468, 50