Much remains of the original layout shown on the 1st edition OS of 1863, which has a central walk heavily planted with cedars, holly and yew, and other notable trees include limes, yews, horse chestnuts and cedars planted amongst the graves. Symmetrical curving paths lead off the central path, again largely surviving from the original layout, some are now asphalted and others are traceable in the grass. The cemetery buildings include a pair of linked chapels by E C Robins.
Following the establishment of Croydon Burial Board in 1859, Queen's Road Cemetery was the first cemetery in Croydon, founded in 1861.
Visitor Facilities8am - dusk (October - March 5pm/ April - September 7pm)
Detailed DescriptionFollowing the establishment of Croydon Burial Board in 1859, Queen's Road Cemetery was the first cemetery in Croydon. It was founded in 1861 and much remains of the original layout, which had a central walk heavily planted with trees, including those planted amongst the graves. Symmetrical curving paths lead off the central path. Buildings include a pair of linked chapels linked, a lodge, stone gate piers and fine railings on Queen's Road. The older part of the cemetery east of the chapels contains the more interesting monuments, with memorials to important local people.
Hugh Meller & Brian Parsons, 'London Cemeteries, An Illustrated Guide and Gazetteer', 4th edition (The History Press, 2008); LB Croydon, 'Local List of Historic Parks & Gardens', December 2008
For more information see http://www.londongardensonline.org.uk/gardens-online-record.asp?ID=CRO058
- Access & Directions
Access Contact Details8am - dusk (October - March 5pm/ April - September 7pm)
DirectionsRail: Selhurst, Thornton Heath then walk. Bus: 50, 468
- Mid 19th Century
London Parks and Gardens Trust