The lake was dry by 1954, its site marked by a depression, but many mature trees remain in the public park.
Norbury Hall was built in 1802 within the Manor of Norbury. The grounds comprised 30 acres of ornamental gardens with a large lake fed by the River Graveny. From the main entrance on London Road, a drive led through woodland to the house. In the 19th century it was owned by James William Hobbs, Mayor of Croydon in 1887; it remained in his family until 1957. Hobbs had a private cricket field laid out in the grounds, now a private leisure club. Croydon Corporation acquired the estate in 1956. The Hall and 9 acres of gardens were fenced off for an old people's home, now privately run, and the grounds were taken over by the Council's Parks Department.
Visitor FacilitiesThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk. The house is not open to the public.
- Country House (featured building)
- Description: Norbury Hall
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe park is open from 8am Mon-Fri/9am weekends - dusk. The house is not open to the public.
DirectionsRail: Norbury. Bus: 50, 109, 255