In 1876 part of the churchyard was combined with burial grounds of the nearby Wesleyan Chapel to create St George's Gardens, which opened as a public garden in 1877. Headstones were generally moved to the perimeter and the new layout included a Rectors Walk and Lime Avenue. A disused mortuary building in the garden was for a time used as a popular Nature Study Centre and Museum that opened in 1904. The garden was restored and re-opened in 2008.
St George-in-the-East was designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor and built between 1714-28, its churchyard occupying an area known as The Gun Field. The burial ground was expanded in 1829 but by 1851 it was crowded and subsequently closed to burial.
Visitor FacilitiesThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
- Access & Directions
Access Contact DetailsThe site is open from 8am - dusk.
DirectionsLondon Overground/DLR: Shadwell. Bus: D3
- Associated People
London Parks and Gardens Trust